The Power of Preservation Foundation (PoP) and San Antonio restaurateur Cappy Lawton and his wife Suzy announced today that the Lawton family has donated a prominent, historic property to the organization. Located at 107 W. Craig Place, the house is next to the La Fonda on Main restaurant, owned and operated by Lawton, along with Cappy’s Restaurant and Cappycino’s. The Power of Preservation Foundation plans to rehabilitate the century-old house in the Monte Vista Historic District.
In 1906, Judge Winchester Kelso hired renowned San Antonio architect Atlee B Ayres (Municipal Auditorium and Tower Life Building) to design the prominent house at the corner of West Craig Place and Main Avenue. Ayres’ plans featured an eclectic mix of neo-classical, craftsman, and shingle-style architectural influences. The Kelso family lived in the home until the 1950s. The home and its surrounding property were purchased in 2005 by the Lawtons, through one of their partnerships. In addition to the donation of the house, Cappy and Suzy have also promised continued financial support of PoP’s efforts to restore the home.
The Lawtons were introduced to the PoP during their discussions with representatives the City of San Antonio Office of Historic Preservation (OHP) concerning the future uses of this property. Although the ultimate use of the restored home will be office space, the foundation initially plans to transform the house into a “Learning Lab” for hands-on educational programs offered in partnership with the City of San Antonio Office of Historic Preservation (OHP), who will work with local contractors and educators during the project to restore the landmark. OHP’s Rehabber Club will provide future courses and certifications for members to gain the skills and knowledge necessary to restore historic homes. The Rehabber Club’s mission is to build and support a network of do-it-yourselfers, craftsmen, contractors, historic homeowners, students, realtors, and everyday citizens to revitalize San Antonio’s historic buildings.
Dru Van Steenberg, President of PoP, says “The Lawton’s donation presents an extraordinary opportunity for preservation and architecture students to gain significant practical experience during a real restoration project. It also gives the Foundation its first opportunity to restore a significant piece of San Antonio culture. We are so grateful for their generous gift to the community.”
The Power of Preservation Foundation, a local non-profit, with the support of many local businesses and organizations, will fund the rehabilitation process. Legal professional services have been generously provided by Brown & Ortiz, P.C., and land development services have been provided by Pape-Dawson Engineers, Inc.
The Power of Preservation Foundation will break ground on this exciting endeavor later this year.
The annual Preservation PROMenade is PoP’s primary fundraiser. The 6th-Annual PROM will be held on October 26, 2017, at the 1959 Villita Assembly Building in Historic La Villita. This year, all proceeds from the event will go towards rehabilitation costs at 107 W Craig. Tickets and sponsorship opportunities will be available soon.
OHP’s Rehabber Club can be found online at sarehabberclub.com.